There are numerous California and federal laws that prohibit employers from engaging in conduct that discriminates against pregnancy before, during and after childbirth. California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) specifically prohibits employers from demoting, harassing and terminating pregnant workers. (It is important to note that the employer must have at least five full time employees for one year). Another law that protects pregnant workers, the California Pregnancy Disability Leave Law (PDLL) enables an extended amount of leave time in appropriate circumstances (up to four months). Another law, the California Family Rights Act (CFRA) provides a 12 week break after birth. If you have been a victim of pregnancy discrimination, contact your Los Angeles workplace discrimination attorney immediately to understand and preserve your rights. Grey Law’s Los Angeles pregnancy discrimination lawyer vigorously protects victims of pregnancy discrimination and a free consultation is available immediately, which can be scheduled by calling 1-800-GREY-LAW.
Examples of Pregnancy Discrimination:
There are numerous ways in which pregnancy discrimination may occur, including, but not limited to, the following:
- The pregnant worker’s job may be slated for elimination after she takes maternity leave
- The pregnant worker may be demoted prior to giving birth, or after she returns to work
- The pregnant worker may be unreasonably overloaded with work in an effort to force her to quit
- She may no longer be considered for the promotion that was offered prior to announcing her pregnancy
- The pregnant worker may flatly be denied the legally mandated 12 week maternity leave as per FMLA or CFRA
- The pregnant job applicant may simply not be hired due to the pregnancy
- The employer may deny pregnancy leave due to a high risk pregnancy – or for other reasons unknown
- Various reasons exist – consult with your attorney
If you are or were a victim of pregnancy discrimination by an employer or would-be employer, you may seek compensation that may include lost income, restoration of your employment position, damages for emotional pain and suffering, and in some egregious cases, punitive damages.
Contact a Los Angeles Pregnancy Discrimination Lawyer for a Complimentary Consultation:
If you feel you were a victim of pregnancy discrimination, it is essential to preserve your rights and to speak to a qualified and experienced Los Angeles pregnancy discrimination attorney at the earliest possible time. The Grey Law employment lawyers have been helping clients receive the compensation they deserve for more than 25 years and a complimentary consultation is available by calling 1-800-GREY-LAW. There are no fees unless we attain a favorable resolution.